Once I began eating clean I drastically reduced the amount of pasta that I (and my family) eat; however, we do like to enjoy it every now and then. So, I switched things up a bit from the traditional pasta, sauce, and meatballs. I added some protein, veggies, and a few little extras to make this delicious dish!
Note: when eating pasta, I do limit myself to about 3/4 cup and then I loaded up a bit more on the chicken and broccoli.
Ingredients: (I used the measurements below for my family which consists of my husband, 2 toddler aged daughters, and myself. There was PLENTY to go around, which meant my husband was able to have some leftovers to take to work.)
|Chicken and Broccoli Pasta|
* Whole Wheat rotini or penne pasta
* 1 small head of broccoli
* 4 chicken breasts
* 1/2 cup of low sodium chicken broth
* 1 Tbsp olive oil
* 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
* 1/2 tsp sea salt
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 cup grated FRESH Parmesan cheese (NOT Kraft cheese!)
* 1/2 cup walnuts
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, adding the broccoli florets during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
- While pasta is cooking, season chicken breasts and grill until cooked through. Once cooked, cut up in to chunks and set aside. You can season with a little garlic and lemon. I used Mrs. Dash’s salt-free Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Drain and return the pasta and broccoli to the pot.
- Stir in the chicken broth, chicken, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper
- Cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes, tossing frequently until heated through.
- Top with cheese and nuts.