I came across this recipe on Pinterest and figured I’d give it a try! I also love that it is all 21 Day Fix approved ingredients. I have to say; however, something that I don’t like to do is waste a lot of good food. So, when a recipe calls for something like a cup of rice, I want to be able to still use the rest of the packet! Or, if a recipe calls for a small amount of black beans, I don’t want to throw the rest away if I don’t have something else to make later in the week. So, the recipe posted below makes MORE THAN ENOUGH for the pepper filling. So, here is what I did. I stuffed and cooked the peppers and then I placed the rest of the mixture in a Tupperware to use for leftovers. My husband and I were both able to use the filling on a whole wheat tortilla the next day for lunch. In fact, I’m pretty sure he was able to eat a few of them, which I wouldn’t recommend if you are watching your carbs 😉
Ingredients: One stuffed pepper is one serving. These can be refrigerated and used for leftovers too!
- 6 bell peppers, color of your choice
- 1 packet of brown rice (you could also cook 1 cup of quinoa)
- 1 can black beans, cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1 lb of ground turkey or beef seasoned with the 21 Day Fix Southwestern Seasoning. (You could also use Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Fiesta Lime seasoning)
- 1 can of petite diced tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 cup of all natural, no sugar added tomato sauce
- Shredded part-skim Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook brown rice or Quinoa according to the package.
- While the rice is cooking brown and season the ground beef/turkey.
- Drain and rinse black beans.
- Combine rice, meat, beans, corn, tomatoes and sauce in a large bowl and mix well.
- Cut tops off of peppers, pulling out the ribs/core and rinse any additional seeds out.
- Place all 6 peppers in a glass baking dish.
- Stuff all peppers with filling mixture. About 1 cup of mixture fits within a pepper.
- Sprinkle the top of each pepper with 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in oven for about 35 minutes (cheese should be melted and filling should be heated all the way through).
As stated above, you can use the remaining mixture as a wrap for the next day!