Here in Central PA it is COLD and SNOWY! So, what better dinner than to have a nice warm bowl of soup?! Better yet, how about a recipe that you can just throw in the crock pot in the morning and have ready for when you get home from work?! I found a Chicken Rice recipe online and make a couple of tweaks to it. It was delicious! My girls really enjoyed it as well!
|Chicken Rice Soup|
- 1 1/2 half to 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup carrots (chopped)
- 4 stalks of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 10 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (garnish)
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
|Chicken and Rice Soup|
- Combine onion, carrots, celery, garlic, rice, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and pepper in slow cooker.
- Top with chicken breast halves.
- Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 6 1/2 hours or on high for about 3 1/2-4 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred then return to the slow cooker. While you have the chicken out, remove the bay leaves as well.
- Stir soup, add parsley, and serve!